Monkeypod is a uniquely beautiful and versatile hardwood. The trees grow large and quickly throughout their native home in Central and South America and, after recent introduction, also thrive in Asia and the Pacific Islands. This produces a relatively affordable and sustainable exotic hardwood.
- Common Names: Monkey Pod, Rain Tree, Raintree, Saman, Cenízaro, Parota, Albizia saman
- Origin: Central America, South America, and Hawaii
- Color: Generally golden to dark brown with darker streaks, displays a variety of color between boards
- Janka Hardness: 900 lbs/ft
- Avg. Weight: 3.17 lbs/bdft
- General Workability: Although it is an exotic wood, Monkeypod is relatively light and soft which makes it easy to work with and cut. The tight, interlocked grain can sometimes cause tearout or fuzzy edges, but it glues and finishes very well.
Project Ready? These thin wood sheets are perfect for scroll sawing, laser cutting and engraving, thick veneers, and much more.
Our Project Ready Monkeypod boards are kiln dried and surfaced and sanded to 150 grit on two sides.
Sizes are exact. |
This is all solid Monkeypod hardwood, not plywood, and is not glued. |
100% satisfaction guaranteed.
These Monkeypod boards are solid hardwood, sanded to 150 grit on two sides. Sizes are exact.